Friday, June 10, 2005

Detroit Festival of the Arts Today Through Sunday

Right about now is the time of the year that I start jonesing for a vacation. I know it doesn't particularly make sense, because it is finally warm in Detroit, but, for some reason, June seems to be the month that I want to take a break. I am ready for a change of scenery. Aching to get out there and explore. To learn new things and meet new people. Last year I went to New York. The year before that it was Chicago. This year, however, I have decided to stay right here in the D.


The GO READ Garden stage features celebrity readers like Detroit Lion Charles Rogers. GO READ will be held on the Cass lawn of the Detroit Public Library.

While I have to admit that taking a short trip to South America or spending the summer backpacking in Europe would fulfill my social and cultural needs, the guilt I suffer when that little voice in my head reminds me about the strict financial budget I have committed to is far worse. Plus, I don't know about you, but I don't want to leave Detroit right now - there are too many fun things going on right here. Which brings me to my point. Lucky for me (and my wallet), the Detroit Festival of the Arts is going on this weekend, which means I can go on a "mini vacation" just down the road.


The Detroit Institute of Arts and other area cultural institutions will have special exhibitions and events during the festival.

No, I'm not kidding - the DFOTA, which is now in its 19th year - is similar to a mini vacation. It's kind of like the festival's sponsors took all the best things about a bunch of different countries and arranged to have them all in Midtown for a few days. There are 10 street stages, where performers from Cape Verde, Africa, Canada, France, Spain, and Mexico can be viewed. More than 100 artists from around the U.S. encompass this year's Artist's Market, where festival-goers can browse and purchase anything from sculptures to jewelry. In addition, the festival also features poetry readings, a children's fair, nationally-renowned musicians, and a 75-ton sand sculpture. Several Midtown institutions - such as the Scarab Club, who will host the 2005 Poetry Slam Fest on Saturday - also have special events and performances lined up for this weekend's festival.

So, why not take a little break from your busy schedule this weekend to enjoy the vast array of arts, literature, and music that's been transported to Detroit? There is no charge for this world-class event, which is open until 11 pm tonight, from noon to 11 pm tomorrow, and noon to 9 pm on Sunday. Visit
detroitfestival.com for location information, performance schedules, festival after-party details, and more.