It's cold in Michigan, and there's no denying or escaping it. So why not embrace it?
Do just that this weekend at Winter Blast, Downtown Detroit's free, three-day winter festival.
With the usual hip, cool activities (free ice skating, a 200-foot snow slide, dog sledding and snowboarding exhibitions and more) around Campus Martius Park, this year's Winter Blast will also feature:
- Seventy-five entertainment acts on three stages;
- Taste of the D: a mini-taste festival with 20 Detroit restaurants like Opus One and Sizz'l-n-Spice;
- Dine in the D: a discount dining program that will help you save 15-25% off your bill at 60 Detroit restaurants all weekend. Click here for the mandatory discount coupon and a list of participating restaurants.
- Spend the Night in the City, featuring special hotel rates at downtown's MGM Grand Detroit, Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, Holiday Inn Express on Washington Boulevard and the Hilton Garden Inn in Harmonie Park.
- Cultural-venue discounts: in honor of Winter Blast, places like the Charles Wright Museum of African American History, Detroit Historical Museum, New Detroit Science Center and Hilberry Theatre are offering discounts off of regular admission prices, and in some cases, two-for-one admission. The Fox Theatre is also offering discounts on Sesame Street Live: Elmo Makes Music tickets for performances held during Blast weekend.
- "Discover Detroit" tour: a free, hour-and-fifteen-minute tour to help you get to know Detroit and the recent developments that are making our city a better place. Meet in the Compuware lobby at 3pm on February 9 and 10 for this unique tour by local non-profit Inside Detroit.
- Winter Blast Film Festival: new this year, celebrate Michigan filmmakers and films about Michigan at this free event, located in a heated tent at Campus Martius Park. Click here for film summaries, and a complete list of scheduled films and times.
- Wine Tasting and After Party: enjoy specialty wine flights from South America, Italy and Australia at the First National Building's newest tenant, wine bar-Enoteca.
Not a fan of the cold? Luckily, there are plenty of places to warm-up at the festival, thanks to DTE Energy’s Comfort Zones. You’ll find heat every 150 feet on the Winter Blast site.
More than 450,000 guests are expected to attend the 2008 festival, which runs from Friday, February 8 to Sunday, February 10. For a complete schedule and listing of events, click here.
Head to Detroit and celebrate winter in Detroit with fun events and attractions!
Email me -- I'd love to hear from you!