Monday, July 11, 2005

Whitlock's ESPN article packs a positive punch for Detroit

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Since beginning this blog last August, I cannot tell you how many times I have come across negative articles and news stories about Detroit. If I had to make a conservative estimate, I would say that I see at least one per day; other times, though, there are two or three dozen in a day.

Whether the story is on the local news or one written on Yahoo! Sports, it never gets any easier to read or hear the negative, stereotypical comments that seem to stick to Detroit like Velcro. This is a city that has made significant progress in the last decade, yet continues to suffer regular beatings by the media.

The pain I feel when reading articles or hearing news stories that point out all the "wrongs" of Detroit doesn't lesson or get any easier for me; but, it does make reading articles like this one - written by Jason Whitlock, a sports writer with The Kansas City Star - much sweeter.

Thank you, Mr. Whitlock, for your awesome article on the Detroit sports scene and for being one of the few in the media with the integrity, maturity, and guts to admit that ragging on Detroit may be the easy thing to do, but it isn't necessarily the best, or most truthful, thing to do.

Detroiters: if you only read one article this week, I urge you to make it this
one.

Have a question or comment on this post or my blog? I welcome your input! E-mail me at
girl.in.the.d@gmail.com.